Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

When I graduated from university, I wanted to be a millionaire and travel the world. I haven’t quite reached a million (yet), but I’ve had a taste of the ‘millionaire lifestyle’ and travelled a good chunk of the globe. But what if becoming a millionaire is not what it’s cracked up to be?

who wants to be a millionaire

Who Wants to be a Millionaire – The Younger Me in 1998

Back in the late 90’s, I aspired to greater things. I dreamed of flash cars, fancy living quarters, and glamorous women.

Fast forward to 2014, I was living the dream. I was riding the wave of, years of hard graft and determination. I had (still have and now making a good rental) the fancy apartment, high powered convertible (sold to the highest bidder to help pay off another property) and the trophy girlfriend (s).

At the crux of this fantasy lifestyle, I was rubbing shoulders with wealthy business men in Russian nightclubs and eating in some of the finest restaurants in the world. I was wining and dining beautiful and talented Muscovite women…but that’s another story.

I was on an another overseas project and on a good package. Hence, the excessive lifestyle.

Maybe this seems all a bit far fetched with no substance? I guess my life was a bit far fetched with no substance. I was living in a bubble. But bubbles inevitably burst.

I was living a temporary high.

But I tell you one thing, I was bloody happy at the time. That happiness soon fades quickly though. Then you have to keep on spending to feed your high. It’s a viscious circle.

If these things are your goal, then each to their own.

who wants to be a millionaire - quote

Who Wants to be a Millionaire – The Older Me in 2017

Some folk think becoming a millionaire will solve all their problems and is the ultimate route to happiness.

It’s portrayed as this holy grail. If used the correct way, it can.

In a report carried out by the Camelot Group (UK Lottery), 75% of respondents claimed feeling happier after winning the lotto. For the other 25%, I guess they weren’t prepared for such a windfall.

You usually find the other 25% have hit the headlines for the wrong reasons. “Lottery Winners Who Blew It All” – Business Insider…”How Winning the Lottery Makes You Miserable” – Time.

That’s because they were thinking about their money in the wrong context. They thought they could live like Tony Montana:

For me now, it’s more about becoming financially independent, than making a million. However, how to make a million dollars is a good thing, if utilized the right way. It makes us accountable for our actions.

It gives us another target to focus on. We can get there in bite sized chunks, little by little, over time.

We can help others along the way.

And that’s where the Million Dollar Club comes in…

The Million Dollar Club

who wants to be a millionaire - budgets are sexy

I came across a blog called, ‘Budgets are Sexy‘. A personal finance site that demonstrates a fun way to budget, but makes you pay attention to your money.

The man behind this website is J.Money. He’s created this club to motivate good folk like yourselves, to reach that cool and elusive mill.

My Pre-Requisites for Becoming a Millionaire

I’ve put together a millionaire to do list. A pledge as so to speak.

  • Pay off all mortgages / no debts by the time I’m 50
  • Work on overseas projects that pay for ‘the big three’
  • Invest any surplus/disposable income directly into my core passive income vehicles
  • Plan a side business (another passive income vehicle preferably) so my days are fulfilled during financial independence
  • Investigate a new country to live in, that fits in with my lifestyle (and brings down my cost of living)
  • Help others along the way, who want to be helped in achieving financial independence or becoming a millionaire
  • Have someone to share it with!
You can make a million excuses or you can make a million dollars... Click To Tweet


So, who wants to be a millionaire? I think aspiring to how to become a millionaire is in our blood.

The key takeaway is, you don’t have to be a millionaire to become financially independent.

But, it is a great goal to aspire to. I realize becoming a millionaire is more about sustaining a life of fulfillment, rather than ‘buying the lifestyle’ and the materialism that is associated with it.

You can be happy with all that money if it’s managed and planned effectively.

What you do need behind you is time. Lots of it. And adopting good, daily habits to propel you there.

And you need to be helping and collaborating with other like minded people along the way.

Now I would like to hear from you.

Who wants to be a millionaire? Who’s willing to put in the years of hard graft and perserverance?

What’s your millionaire to-do list?

The maths is the easy part. Implementing is a whole new ball game.

Let us know in the comments…

(Visited 493 times, 1 visits today)